How To Be More Creative

 
 
One of the things I hear from people all the time is, "How can I be more creative" or "I'm just not very creative". 
The truth is we are all creative. We were all born with an incredibly creative mind. Children are some of the most imaginative people around. Trouble is we lose some of this as we get older.
 
Now creativity is best described as being on a continuum and where we fall on that continuum depends on what it is that we are trying to be creative at. So for example, I may be further to the left in the art making continuum, but waay over to the right when it comes to fiction writing. 
 
So why is this? It's mostly has to do with how much time and attention you give something. Yes, raw talent does play a role in how well you execute something. So I may naturally be a good drawer, but if I don't practice my creativity, all I'll be is a good drawer. Not more creative.
 
Here is an infographic I created that outlines the differences between people who claim to be creative vs. those who say they are not creative. Feel free to share and I'd love to hear your thoughts on this subject.
 
 

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I love this. I love that it's okay to fail. As a matter of fact, failing is imperative! Most times, doing it wrong is the the only path to doing it right. My teacher calls it 'falling in the weeds'. I view it as exploring my boundaries. Just how far can I go before I land in the weeds? We can always get up laughing and put ourselves back on the path to our vision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I really like that you call it "exploring my boundaries". We should all explore our boundaries to see what we are made of. I think we'd all be quite surprised!

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this blog, please sign-up for my email newsletter!

Linkie ♥

Translate