The Process of Making a Collage Image Using Photoshop

 


 
 So today I thought I'd share with you a little about my process of making a collage image. I create my collage images mainly two different ways. 1). Traditional cut and paste. Meaning I create and assemble images completely out of paper or 2) I use a combination of paper and Photoshop.
Today I am going to show you my Photoshop method.

The Photoshop method that I will show you today actually starts out much like regular cut and paste collage. I usually begin with a quick sketch of the image that I would like to create.  In this case, I have been working on some Halloween images and have drawn a witch and her broom riding cat.



I then redraw my image from my sketch. I like to use a mixed media paper which allows me to use a variety of mediums with ease. In this case, I have begun to draw the witch's face and have used watercolor to add color.

I don't usually redraw the entire image. Instead I redraw it in pieces. Below we see all of the completed pieces of the witch.

These pieces will now be individually scanned into Photoshop and then digitally collaged together. What I like about this method is I can reuse any piece of this witch for another project or resize different pieces to get the exact look and size I am looking for. I also like that if I made a mistake on her hat, I don't have to redo the entire piece. I just remake the hat and move on.

 I can also easily change backgrounds, change the image to silhouette and even add text if I like.  And best of all, this image can now be used in many different, future compositions.

I'd love to hear your thought and any tips you have with using Photoshop.

If you enjoyed this blog, please sign-up for my email newsletter!

Linkie ♥

Translate